AZMOM Volunteer Area – Sterilization
Every year we are humbled by the outpouring of selfless, generous, loving, and gracious individuals that we are fortunate to partner with at our annual AZ Dental Mission of Mercy event (AZMOM). Our volunteers consistently go above and beyond with us, year after year, and we are thrilled to put them in the spotlight and highlight the recognition they deserve. We are currently planning our AZMOM North event in Flagstaff, AZ this summer and look forward to seeing you all again soon!
First a patient, then a volunteer: Learn a little about volunteer Rogelio Favela, an AZMOM success story. He came to AZMOM as a patient 9 events ago, has been a consistent volunteer at our events, and is always willing to help out in any way he can. He turned his life around, is giving back to our community, and recently completed dental assisting school. Read more about Rogelio in our volunteer spotlight.
- How did you first get connected with AZMOM? I was referred to AZMOM by a probation officer. I was blessed to be a patient who saw first-hand how AZMOM helps the community. It changed my life. Since my first year of attending with receiving treatment, I have been volunteering in setup, teardown, and patient escort. Patient sterilization while still in dental assisting school.
- Who do you currently work for, and what is your title? I recently completed dental assisting school and am now looking for employment in a dental office.
- How many AZMOM events have volunteered at? I have been volunteering for 8 years.
- Why is AZMOM important to you? If you can put a smile on someone’s face you are doing a great job. That is what I experience when volunteering with AZMOM.
- Is there a significant memory, from any of the AZMOM events you have participated in, that stands out to you? One year in Pediatrics, as an escort, I met a Hispanic woman with very little English. She had to camp out overnight in the rain. The mother did this so that her young child would receive dental treatment AZMOM. It stood out in my mind, just seeing how much she would go through to get her child to see a dentist stands out.
- Will you volunteer at AZMOM again? Definitely yes! Honestly, out of love, AZMOM can function and give back to the community.